History of the Mill Hotel / Mylos
The history of old Kakopetria goes as far back as the 5th century B.C. with the discovery of a temple dedicated to the combined worship of the goddess Athena and Hercules the demi god.
Early inhabitation of this area was logical because of the presence of water. Eventually many people moved into the area and using the water as a source of power, many mills were built along the banks of the river.
The history of the Kakopetria mill in the Solea Valley, which is known as "The Mill on the Corner", begins in the middle of the 17th century. It was built by a monk who made a gift of it to the Monastery of Ayios Nicolaos tis Stegis (St. Nicolas of the Roof). As the mill was one of the largest in the area it became very well known and drew people from all over the region, even from the other side of the mountains and as far away as Limassol, Pissouri and Paphos.
Its fame almost caused the mill to be nationalized by the Turks, who were the conquerors of Cyprus in those days. The danger was by-passed, as the people there quickly managed to cut the milestone into smaller circumference.
With the destruction of Ayios Nicolaos monastery in the middle of the 18th century, the church and its property came under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Cyprus. As there were no monks to work the mill, the Archbishop had to rent it to the people of the village together with land belonging to the church. The people of Kakopetria at that time owned only the land between the two rivers.
In 1918, with the help of Mr Symeonides, the Archbishop of Cyprus was persuaded to sell to the people of Old Kakopetria both the mill and the land on which the new village is built.
Milling being an expensive venture, it was bought by a group of five people. The working of the mill was carried out by rotation. Each was responsible for one week at a time. It was run successfully in this manner until the 1950's, when not enough wheat was available for milling and a lot of ready made flour was imported. The mill fell into disuse, abandoned and became a ruin.
As visitors will notice, the bridge, old mill and water tower are very picturesque and have attracted many artists over the years.
In 1976 it came to our notice as a potential great tourist attraction, and after three years it was possible to purchase and restore to its former working state, with the continuing advice of the Antiquities Department. 86 year old Mr Vassiliou (the old electrician) who was one of the owners offered us his skill and helped restore the wooden wheel which gives the motive power for the millstone to go round.
In 1984 extensive renovations were made to the mill site. A new building was constructed, in the traditional style of the surrounding old village. It was a three storey stone building which was to house souvenir shops on the ground floor and a restaurant on the third floor.
In 1987 the Mill Restaurant was opened, offering an extensive menu of fine cuisine with a House Specialty of Rainbow Trout. Information regarding the Mill Restaurant can be seen in our Restaurant Section.
In 1999 the Mill Hotel was opened. Offering quality accommodation in 13 room styles; consisting on 2 senior suites, 8 junior suites and 3 ordinary rooms. The Mill Hotel offers premier service and hospitality all year round. Further information can be found in our Accommodation Section.
We wish all our visitors a happy visit.
Our Contact Details
Milos Street 8
Tel: (+357) 22922536
Fax: (+357) 22813970
We apologies whilst our online reservation system is unavailable.
To make a reservation at either the hotel or restaurant please contact us.
Telephone: (+357) 22922536